It looks like we can all count our blessings – the Galaxy Fold is back from the dead! For those who held on to their pre-orders against all odds, congratulations – it was a gamble that paid off. For all you who canceled, who can blame you.
Samsung has made some minor but critical changes to the hinge design that they believe will resolve the dead screen issues experienced after just a week of use by media outlets testing the device. With the state of the Galaxy S and Note lineups, we had all come to expect better from the electronics behemoth. The Galaxy Fold went out to press and reviewers and within a week people had started peeling off the protective layer because it looked like a screen protector and others had their displays dying after normal use scenarios. Not good for Samsung. The phone was pulled back and the launch delayed indefinitely.
Finally! I thought this might've been a dead in the water project for 2019. Great job getting the Fold back to market in 2019 @SamsungMobile https://t.co/VoFM3c1XQi— Bytesector (@bytesector) July 25, 2019
This brings us to today. It has leaked that the Galaxy Fold will get a September, 2019 release date. Samsung has been hard at work making subtle changes to the hinge design that should make the display more resilient, changing the screen protector and more. Check out the list of changes here:
The extra time Samsung had, also made it possible for them to work on app support and build more on the software side for the foldable display. Not all was lost in this time.
- The top protective layer of the Infinity Flex Display has been extended beyond the bezel, making it apparent that it is an integral part of the display structure and not meant to be removed.
- Galaxy Fold features additional reinforcements to better protect the device from external particles while maintaining its signature foldable experience.
- The top and bottom of the hinge area have been strengthened with newly added protection caps.
- Additional metal layers underneath the Infinity Flex Display have been included to reinforce the protection of the display.
- The space between the hinge and body of Galaxy Fold has been reduced.
Read the announcement here.